Figure C (click to enlarge)
Self Treatments :
- Heavy load eccentric exercises (Figure C)
- Using both legs, you raise your heels as high as possible and then remove the uninjured leg from the stair. The injured leg is then gradually lowered through a full range of motion. The uninjured leg is then placed back on the stairway and both legs are again used to raise the heels as high as possible. Three sets of 15 repetitions are performed twice a day with the knees both straight and bent.
- Tibialis Posterior Exercises
Flexor Digitorum Longus
- Alternately raising and lowering your arches against resistance. 3 sets of 25 reps performed daily.
- Look at the insole of your running shoe. When this muscle is strong, you will see well-defined indents beneath the tips of the second through fifth toe, whereas a weak muscle produces no marks beneath the toes and shows signs of excessive wear in the center of the forefoot only.
- Professional Treatments:
- Deep tissue massage
- AMIT muscle work at Utah Sports and Wellness to determine if the muscles have shut down .
IMPORTANT: AVOID CORTISONE INJECTIONS IN THE ACHILLES TENDON BECAUSE THEY CAN WEAKEN THE TENDON (Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2004)
Have More Questions About Treating Achilles Tendonitis?
Take a look at the interactive Treatment Progress Guide that we have created. It explains the entire process of sports injury treatment at Utah Sports and Wellness.