After my recent bike crash I was in need a physician to help me out with my brain healing. I’m not commonly in the position of seeking a new doctor but it got me thinking about how a patient chooses their new doctor.
When a new patient is looking for help, they have a lot of obvious demands like convenience, comfort and cost. There are also a number of “unconscious” needs the patients wants to know before they make the appointment. Some of these could be: “Can I communicate easily with this doctor? Will they understand I have a certain approach to my health and work with me?” additional questions may include: “What is going to be done on the initial visit?” “How is he/she different than the other physicians in their field?”
One thing I believe that truly stands out in our office is the examination we perform on the new patient. We spent more time looking at the whole body because we want to get to the bottom of the problem. Without a full evaluation of the biomechanics, muscles and soft-tissue component, a sustainable change is doubtful in my experience. Our goal is to solve the problem in as few visits as possible. In order to achieve that goal, we need to do a full examination so we know what we’re up against.
Our examination has 5 major components:
- We take a history of your health status and chief complaint (what you’re here for).
- We rule out any medical emergencies that need to be referred out and/or need testing.
- We do a complete biomechanical examination looking at positioning and structural balance.
- We employ a 13 point check system developed by Dr. Cerami’s colleague, Dr. Hatrak, successfully used on over 800 NFL players (http://synergyreleasesports.com/) to keep them at the top of their game. This exam includes evaluation of the spine, hips, knees, shoulders and feet as well as posture
- We test and identify any muscle weakness and imbalance related to your complaint
- We perform functional movement testing and Range of Motion assessment in areas needed.
If there are indications that you need X-rays we refer out to our affiliate so you not only get the best MRI or X-ray service, every imaging study comes with a radiology report from a board certified MD. Once we have the information we need, we’ll provide you the disc so you can keep the information for your records.
Once we complete out examination we’ll go over all of the findings so you can make an informed choice. The patient’s goal is our goal; we never push anyone into something they don’t want. We promise we’ll always answer your questions and do our best to meet your needs and problem solve with you. If in the rare occasion we’re not a good fit for each other, I think we’ll both know pretty quickly and we’ll try and find someone to help you where we couldn’t. Once we complete out examination we’ll go over all of the findings so you can make an informed choice.
We know there a lot of choices in health care and injury treatment today. We hope this information has helped you understand what we do and why we’re different but more important, led you closer to getting the professional help you need to regain your health.